Friday, April 3, 2009

Reflection on wiki

Reflection on Wiki: How People Learn?
By: NORMIE BINTI SARIP PGC070015 820131-14-5810

How people learn? A very simple question which consist numerous answers from different angle and view. People learn by nature and also by nurture. We transfer knowledge day by day, and try to make sense of it. I would say that from the life itself, people do learn, formal or informal. Whether by attending schools or join the religious preach or take the night class or enrol a short course. From infants, we learn by observing others, we learn by doing things. Back to my school days, technologies were zero, null. I learned traditionally, in face to face environment where teachers were EVERYTHING, the centre of attraction, the source of information. I learned mostly by rote learning, drill and practice. Never in my mind that one day people can learn from a distance. Never in my mind that one day students actually have the power to their knowledge and teachers only act as instructor. Obviously, the changes and the enhancements of learning and teaching occurs base on how people learn. We learn how to learn.
What was the quality of my contribution to the wiki?

Frankly, I would say that I can do better and contribute more if I manage to spend more time on it. The first wiki, for me, required too much effort because basically we have to start from scratch. At first I thought that it is only me who cannot understand clearly the instruction given. Therefore, I merely share my thoughts and findings. After the Q&A session with Dr Tee, it surprised every one of us that even the English teacher cannot really understand his instruction. Then Dr Tee came out with new version of wiki, which provided more scaffolding and structured. Here where I started to actively contributing to this wiki, involving the discussion and jotting down my observation. The step by step activities help me to focus on my readings and searching.
How could I improve the quality of the content?

As an individual, I should urge myself to read more robust article, to ask myself more deeply questions, and to be dare enough to take charge when things go slow without progress. I do look up to Mee Lee Chun, because for me her thinking is very analytical. Again, my most problems were the time needed to do above list, as I competing priorities of home, work and school. As a team member, I do agree with Kak Hana’s suggestion that this project should be done by smaller group. Sure, two heads are better than one but sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth. When working in large group, I tend to think that others will start first, others will shape this wiki, and others will take action. I tend to wait and see.

What did I learn from this activity?

Surprisingly, I learn the nature of distance education (as the learner). I feel the alienation, isolation, the frustration and insecurities about learning. The lack of direct feedback and contact with the instructor during the construction of the first wiki, make me feel lost. I learn to learn to master and own the knowledge, and not to depend on the instructor (even me myself are trying to change my mindset from teacher-centred to student-centred way of learning). It is not easy to communicate with other members without meeting face to face, to chunk one big topic accordingly. Therefore, I cannot miss a thing, I must read all the entry posted. Unfortunately, the feedback was nothing to answer how people learn. I regretted that I did not take the opportunity to be the first one to post an entry related to the sub-topic outlined. I learn that I did not play my part as I should. I learn that even the smallest contribution means something to trigger the thinking (like agreeing to Kak Hana’s topic outline).
Last but not least, to all members of PXGT6308 and Dr Tee Meng Yew, thank you for sharing the information and the hundreds years of experience.

1 comment:

Apa kata anda?