Sunday, March 8, 2009

Copyright & DE Management: by Me & Maryam

Feww, at last! The nervous, the anxious feeling, mixed beyond words to describe. Now I present my reflection on what have we done.


What did you learn from this activity?

· First and foremost, I learnt that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Yeah, this time of presentation I really get that. It’s not me and Mar didn’t plan well but I really thought that we can plan better.
· If we choose the right video clips, it really can trigger the learning process. When I played the video clips, I was relieved to see the reactions. Hehehe... I purposely choose the one with many cartoons on it, since previous presentation everyone (including me) really enjoyed the video clips.
· Copyright in Malaysia is not taken seriously like in western countries. After surfing the internet, I couldn’t found any related article about DE and copyright act in Malaysia. Copyright in Malaysia mostly related to music industry; to prevent piracy.
· DE management is tedious, surely. Again, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
· In F2F environment, instructor get the feedback immediately, it helps to change the strategy if needed. But in DE, things are delay, time consuming, and you just cannot change the way you construct abruptly.

What instructional strategies worked?

· We used lecture mode to deliver our presentation. To assist our presentation, we prepared our eye-catching (that comment really make us smile) PowerPoint slides. Plus the bilingual language (which sounds crazy sometimes) we think it was really worked J
· Thanks to YouTube, we started the presentation with video clips full of cartoons. Yes, the clip was bit jumpy but it helps to get the audiences’ attention.
· The impromptu questions that I asked I thought help the audience to ask deeper, create ‘what if’ situation. So I guess that can replace the activity that we missed (boleh gitu Dr Tee?).

What didn’t work? Why?

· Decent comment from Kak Hana, the writing activity was not suitable (I can’t remember her exact words). Yeah, I have to agree. It doesn’t went like I plan actually.
What would you have done differently?
· I should photocopy the worksheet before presentation (to make sure it be useful), rather than wrote it on whiteboard.
· I should use the prepared slide one by one, to help my audience understand better (we done it very quickly because in our head we have to do the presentation within 1 hour- for 2 big topics, it is surely not enough). Also, to help my lecture according to plan.
· I should plan our presentation more thoroughly, spending some time to ask Dr Tee’s guidance and spending more time to sit and discuss more with Maryam.

Would you implement similar instructional strategies if this was in a DE setting?

· Using the video- yes I would. It helps to prepare the students with basic understanding and break the ice.
· Lecture- yes I would but will try to make it less, so that the learning will be more student-centred more than teacher-centred.
· Writing activities_ yes I would, using blogs and wikis (of cause!)

I frankly would like to thanks my dear partner, Maryam for her contribution and her braveness to deliver our presentation in English (good job dear, u make us proud!)

To class members, thank you for your modest comments, we really appreciated it. For those who still not present yet, heheheheheh.... you will feel lots of butterflies + moth + flies + grasshopper + spider in your stomach ;)

To Dr Tee, forgive us for not asking your guidance through this process of preparing our material. We thought that we need to cover everything on the text books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apa kata anda?